- Don't forget, tomorrow is "Lions Uncaged" at Ford Field. Gates open at noon and you can get autographs until 12:45 p.m. The practice will start at 1 p.m. and is expected to last around two hours. FOX 2 Detroit will be broadcasting live from the practice from 2-3, and I will be providing live updates via Twitter on Pride of Detroit.
- Today's 7-on-7 drill went very well for Detroit's quarterbacks.
- As you know by now, injuries are really starting to pile up. Damion Cook is out for the season. Bryant Johnson is still out due to wounds from his golf cart accident. Casey FitzSimmons is going to be out for an extended period of time, as is Keith Smith, who has a groin injury. Maurice Morris, John Standeford, Dennis Northcutt (missed today's morning practice and only took part in individual drills in the afternoon), Brandon Pettigrew, Jake Nordin, Lydon Murtha, Jordon Dizon, Daniel Bullocks, and Louis Delmas have all suffered injuries that are of the day-to-day nature. Most haven't returned to practice yet, but it isn't expected that those players will be out for too long. At least that is the hope.
- Anthony Henry practiced at safety today, but it was mainly because Lions coaches want him to learn the position just in case depth continues to be thin with Bullocks and Delmas both injured.
- In case you ever attend a practice and wonder why the quarterbacks suddenly are throwing passes out of bounds on a consistent basis, it probably is because they are running a drill where throwing the ball away is actually somewhat encouraged.
- Aaron Brown had a long touchdown run during an 11-on-11 drill on Thursday.
(More after the jump)
- The Lions' defense has had 40 different blitzes installed already.
- Gunther Cunningham supposedly said this to Martin Mayhew after watching a 75-play video of a free agent:
"Last night, he had me look at 75 plays of a (free agent) player and he asked me, 'How'd you like him?' and I said, 'Eh, I've seen a lot better and you just wasted a lot of my time.' But that's my job, you know. You've got to look, and you've got to keep looking."I would love to have seen the look on Mayhew's face after Cunningham delivered that line.
- Gunther Cunningham's aggressiveness is rubbing off on his cornerbacks.
- You need a premium membership to read the article, but the title of this story about DeAndre Levy pretty much says it all: "Failing to Impress Coaching Staff."
- Jim Schwartz went on FOX Sports Radio recently. The audio can be found here.
- Three former Lions are headed to the UFL.
- The latest "Lions Congregation" is up at Church of Schwartz.