- Defensive end Paul Spicer visited the Lions today and was worked out by the team. Spicer played for the Jaguars the last four seasons and was released by the Saints in the final round of roster cuts earlier this month. The defensive line obviously needs to get better, especially with the Vikings coming to town, so it's not surprising that the Lions are considering signing someone. With Kevin Carter staying retired, someone like Spicer is probably the next best option.
- Ernie Harwell is going to be an honorary captain for the Lions game on Sunday. Harwell recently shared the sad news that he has cancer, and tomorrow night he will actually be at Comerica Park to speak with the team and thank fans for all of the support they have given him in the last couple of weeks.
Louis Delmas was called for two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against the Saints. The first one was for knocking the ball out of Jeremy Shockey's hands after he scored. Delmas was pissed that Shockey was celebrating, but Jim Schwartz pointed out a much better way to prevent that from happening.
"I said, 'When a player makes a touchdown, no matter what he wants to do with the ball, he's earned that right,' " Schwartz said. 'You don't want him to dance, you don't want him to show you up, whatever, stop him from making a touchdown. That's an easy solution.' "The other penalty was for running into a referee, which I had never heard of before Sunday.
- One of the reasons Brandon Pettigrew didn't see much action on Sunday was because the Lions were playing from behind. Pettigrew and the other tight ends were getting open underneath, but the Lions needed to move the ball down the field and overlooked him apparently.
- Matthew Stafford is a big fan of Brett Favre.
- Jay Leno's new show premiered last night, and one of his first jokes was about the Lions.
"I had a strange thing happen to me yesterday. I set my TiVo to record 'The Biggest Loser' and got the Lions game."
- In case you missed it on Sunday, TMZ has a video of Chris Myers making fun of Whoopi Goldberg by comparing going to the Lions from the Steelers to dating her after dating Beyonce.