The draft is tantalisingly close, but still more than a week away. Unfortunately for us, similar topics seem to be circling around POD which has gotten some of us vexed. So, I have decided to alleviate some of that annoyance by creating a fanpost (what's this, a fanpost by Hyperion?! Shock horror!!). Since most people would expect at least something draft or NFL related, I've decided to take a completely different route and do a pop quiz, on the land I call home...Australia.
There is no obligation to answer these questions, but I'd thought it be a bit of fun. I'll put up 20 progressively harder questions based around Australia for you to answer. And please, no cheating (Wiki, google, whatever else, honour system people!)
1. What is the capital of Australia?
2. Who is the Prime Minister of Australia?
- Kevin Rudd
3. What is the population of Australia (in millions)?
- 22 million
4. What is our currency called?
- Australian Dollar
5. Where would you find Uluru (Ayer's Rock)?
- The southern part of the Northern Territory. Located largely within the centre of the continent.
6. Name the 8 States and Territories of Mainland Australia.
- News South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory & the Australian Capital Territory
7. True or False: The Great Barrier Reef is located off the southern coast of Queensland.
- False: It's off the north-east coast of Queensland
8. What three elements appear on the Australian flag?
- The Union Jack, representing our membership to the Commonwealth; the Southern Cross, which is visible in our night skies; and the Commonwealth Star, which is a seven pointed star representing the orginal states and territories of Australia.
9. Name 5 famous Australian actors or actresses.
- There is many: Cate Blanchett, Guy Pierce, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Naomi Watts, Geoffrey Rush, etc...etc...
10. What is the name of a baby Kangaroo?
- A Joey
11. What two animals appear on the Australian Coat of Arms?
- A Kangaroo and an Emu
12. Name two major team sports played actively in Australia (shown on TV, played at junior level etc.)?
- Rugby League (Go Tigers!), Rugby Union, Cricket, Football (Soccer), Aussie Rules, Netball, Basketball etc..
13. When was the first penal colony on Australian soil founded?
- Captain Arthur Phillip led the First Fleet to Port Jackson on 21st January, 1788.
14. How many of the top 10 most venomous snakes live in Australia (according to the late Steve Irwin)?
According to Steve Irwin, All 10. (1. Inland Taipan. 2. King Brown Snake. 3. Taipan. 4. Eastern Tiger Snake. 5. Riesvie Tiger Snake. 6. Beaked Sea Snake. 7. Western Tiger Snake. 8. Giant Black Tiger Snake. 9. Death Adder. 10. Western Brown Snake (I've had a run in with one of these...not fun).
15. What does ANZAC stand for?
- Australian and New Zealand Army Corps
VERY TOUGH Questions (major props for correct answers here)-
16. Which Australian Batsman holds the record for the highest batting average in Test Cricket?
- Sir Donald Bradman, with an average 99.94, the next highest is 60.97. This record is the equivalent of a Baseball batsman having an average of .392 or Basketballer managing 43 point per game.
17. What are the capitals of the 8 Mainland States and Territories?
- Sydney (NSW), Brisbane (QLD), Melbourne (VIC), Adelaide (SA), Perth (WA), Darwin (NT), Hobart (TAS), Canberra (ACT)
18. At what racetrack do Holden's and Ford's participate in an 1000km endurance race?
19. What are the colours of the 5 different Australian Banknotes (each is a different colour)?
- $5- Pink/Light Purple; $10- Blue; $20- Red/Orange; $50- Gold; $100- Green (Don''t see enough of these ones...)
20. Where do I live? (More specific than Australia...lol).
- I live in Terranora, which is located at the southern end of the Gold Coast, which lies about an hour south of Brisbane. In saying that though, I still live in New South Wales as I am only about 15 minutes away from the border between NSW and QLD.
I'll put up the answers in a day or two. Have fun!