Since most people are not familiar with this guy I figured I would do some research to help inform everyone. Since he is an unfamiliar name I think everyone just says cut him, because they don't know any better. I honestly have no clue about the guy myself so I have no opinion one way or another. I will be learning about him with you all as I research.
More after the jump.
Height: 6-1 Weight: 222 Age: 27
Born: 6/4/1983 Cody , WY
Experience: 4th season
High School: Rock Springs HS [WY]
Drafted: 2007 - Rd 6 (184th overall by the Bills)
Wendling had earned his niche as a gunner on punt coverage. During the 2009 season, he recorded 33 tackles (26 solo and seven assists). He even had an interception while playing as a backup safety.
In voting by Buffalo fans at the end of the season, Wendling was named the Bills’ Most Valuable Special Teams Player.
And even though he had undergone knee surgery at the end of the season, Wendling fully expected to be back with the Bills come next fall.
- Has a very high motor and shows a nose for the ball in every situation. A good athlete and a top special teams contributor, making great reads and piling up tackles.
- Hasn't played a lot of safety in the NFL and needs more time there to develop knowledge of the nuances of the pro game.
- Special teams ace & backup safety.
Bills | Failed physicals led to the release of five players
Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:30:55 -0500
Updating a previous report, Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports the Buffalo Bills released DE Jermaine McGhee, DE Marcus E. Smith, SS John Wendling, WR Justin Jenkins and C Marvin Philip because each failed their physical, according to a league source.
The Bills didn't do special teams coordinator Bruce DeHaven any favors by making John Wendling, Justin Jenkins and Ashlee Palmer among the seven players released on Tuesday. They were three of the Bills' most productive special teamers. Wendling's 26 special team tackles were twice as many as anyone else on the team (Palmer was second with 13 tackles).
In conclusion two thoughts.
1) Just because we are not familiar with a player does not mean he is a scrub that has nothing to offer the team.
2) I wonder if this dudes leaping ability could help block some kicks.