As Lions fans, I think we can all agree on one thing......The higher the first quarterback goes, the better. If Cam Newton goes #1 to Carolina, then its a good chance that 2 maybe even 3 quarterbacks could go in the top 12 picks and if that happens that makes the Lions pick so much more valuable. Lets say Cam and Blaine go in the top 5 picks, then there is a good chance that Jake Locker could go to Tennessee or to Washington in the top 10, and maybe Minnesota could reach at Ryan Mallett or even Christian Ponder. It will really help if the CBA rookie contracts go through and the team does not need to pony up as much money for a 1st round quarterback.
If this happens, the draft could look like this:
- Carolina - Blaine Gabbert, QB
- Denver - Marcell Dareus, DE/DT
- Buffalo - Nick Fairly, DT
- Cincinnati -Cam Newton, QB
- Arizona - Von Miller, OLB
- Cleveland - AJ Green, WR
- San Fransisco - Patrick Peterson, CB
- Tennessee - DaQuan Bowers, DE
- Dallas - Robert Quinn, DE/OLB
- Washington - Jake Locker, QB
- Houston - Prince Amukamara, CB
- Minnesota - Ryan Mallett, QB / Christian Ponder, QB
- Detroit - ????
If the draft turns out like this, then the Lions can do so many things:
- Take the BPA on their board (most likely would be Julio Jones)
- Take the Best OT on their board (Solder, Castonzo, Smith, Carimi)
- Trade back (St.Louis-Julio Jones, Miami-Mark Ingram, NewEngland-Pass Rusher/OT, NYG-Mark Ingram)
Hopefully Mayhew does what he has done the last two years and makes the right decision. My hope is that we take the best value move, whether it be take the BPA or trade back and get an extra 2nd or multiple picks.
Let me know what you would do........ GO LIONS!