ALLEN PARK, MI - AUGUST 01: Matthew Stafford #9 of the Detroit Lions hands the ball off to Jahvid Best #44 during the days running drills at the Lions training facility on August 1, 2011 in Allen Park, Michigan. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
- Don't forget: Thursday's practice at 11:15 a.m. is the final session that is open to the public this year.
- Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best returned to practice today. This was his first day of practice since he suffered an apparent concussion against the Cleveland Browns last Friday. Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said yesterday that Best was cleared to practice, and he got back on the field today.
- Wide receiver Calvin Johnson and defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch did not return to practice. Both were sidelined again due to shoulder injuries.
- Wide receiver Titus Young was once again able to practice for the Lions. He isn't sure if he will play on Saturday against the New England Patriots, but by all accounts he really wants to make his preseason debut for the Lions. Of course, if the coaches don't feel like he's ready, there's no point in rushing him back for a preseason game, so it will ultimately be their call.
- Wide receiver Rashied Davis and offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus were back today after getting Tuesday off.
- Cornerback Alphonso Smith did not practice, although it sure seems like he is getting close to making his 2011 practice debut.