April 27, 2012; Allen Park, MI, USA; Detroit Lions first round draft pick Riley Reiff during a press conference at Detroit Lions training facility. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-US PRESSWIRE
- Martin Mayhew said yesterday that Riley Reiff is "one of the two guys we felt really comfortable with at left tackle."
- Here's an amazing story from Reiff and his grandfather Lloyd:
Lloyd is 92 years old and is suffering from cancer. He’s in a wheelchair, is on oxygen and doesn’t have long to live, according to Tom Reiff, Riley’s father.
"His goal was just to make it (to see the draft) because he’s kind of day-by-day," Tom Reiff said.
- Reiff was the first Big Ten player to be selected in this year's draft. Amazingly, that is the lowest the first Big Ten player has come off the board since 1968.
- Reiff got the news that he was picked by the Lions while in a barn at his home in South Dakota.
- Reiff's name is pronounced as "REEF."
- Peter King was asked if taking David DeCastro would have been a better pick. His response? "Reiff better. Opening-day 2013 LT."
- According to Dave Birkett, Reiff's mother bought shirts last week at a store for the only four NFL teams in stock. Amazingly, one of them was a Lions shirt.
- There were 19 trades in the first round on Thursday. That is the most since at least 1970.