Since Smurf was kind enough to show us how well other teams have drafted in the first round with past #23 picks, I started wondering about the 54th pick in past years. This started off as a reply to his fanpost and got way too long, plus I didn't want to take away from his info.
There were many who questioned our first round pick this year, and even more who questioned our 2nd round pick at #54. Though a lot of fans didn't like the Broyles pick at first, some have warmed up to the idea, myself included. Fodder for the off season, more than anything else. Enjoy!
- 2001: Arizona, Michael Stone, db
- 2002: Seattle, Maurice Morris, rb
- 2003: Arizona, Anquan Boldin, wr
- 2004: Denver, Darius Watts, wr
- 2005: Carolina, Eric Shelton, rb
- 2006: KC, Bernard Pollard, db
- 2007: KC, Turk McBride, de
- 2008: Tennessee, Jason Jones, de
- 2009: Minnesota, Phil Loadholt, t
- 2010: Cincy, Carlos Dunlap, de
- 2011: Philly, Jaiquawn Jarrett, db
Highlights include Boldin, MoMo, and McBride, (the latter two more because they played for us or still do, but they were/are solid contributors.) Boldin because he is probably the best player selected here.
- Loadholt has been a starter for Minny for the last 3 seasons.
- Jason Jones has been a solid starter at de for Tennessee these past few years.
- Dunlap, despite not starting, has been very solid for Cincy with 14 sacks in the last two seasons.
- Pollard has been a solid db who has floated around to a few teams, and has started most of the games in his career.
- Stone played for 6 years on a few different teams, started 3 games, and was more or less a bust.
- Watts and Shelton were busts.
- It's too early to tell for Jarrett. He contributed minimally for Philly last year, but did start 2 games.
All in all, it looks like we are in good, not great company with our second round pick.