Detroit Lions quarterbacks Kellen Moore (17) and R.J. Archer (8) during training camp at the Detroit Lions training facility. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-US PRESSWIRE
The Detroit Lions continued training camp on Monday with another practice. On Tuesday, the Lions will wear full pads for the first time and might even have a couple of live tackling sessions. Tuesday will also be the first practice open to the general public (it starts at 9:15 a.m.).
Here's a look at some notes from Monday's session:
- According to Anwar Richardson, Kellen Moore has been "outperforming" R.J. Archer in the battle for the third quarterback job.
- Your daily update on Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson is no different than the first three days of camp:
Stafford to Johnson with surgical precision. Again, and Again, and Again.....repeat as needed for 16 games— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) July 30, 2012
- Kevin Smith is currently the Lions' first-team running back with both Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure out.
Nate Burleson had a solid day of practice and has been having a good camp in general.
Nate Burleson is putting on a clinic on how to beat man coverage on the goal line. Savvy dude— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 30, 2012
Nate Burleson quietly having his standard good camp. He knows his role. Work hard. Be Calvin's No. 2. Mentor young WRs.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) July 30, 2012
- Titus Young continued his strong start to camp by blowing by a couple defensive backs on Monday:
- The Lions wore shoulder pads on Sunday, but they were in "shock pads" on Monday. Since these are lighters pads, Ryan Broyles was able to be a full participant.
- According to Anwar Richardson, Lance Long is "quietly having a good camp."
- Corey Hilliard got first-team reps at left tackle with Jeff Backus out again. Jason Fox also got some reps as the first-team left tackle.
- Riley Reiff worked as the right tackle on the second and third teams.
- Jonathan Scott was the third-team left tackle on Monday.
- Gunther Cunningham was his usual fiery self on Monday.
Coaches really getting after the guys today. Gunther: "Start competing"— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) July 30, 2012
Gunther Cunningham animated yelling at DBs "We're gonna get some extra work in" and "Get your asses moving". With a few more expletives.— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) July 30, 2012
- Anwar Richardson reports that there was a bit of a shoving match on Monday between Lawrence Jackson and Jonathan Scott, who struggled when he went up against Willie Young.
Big Jon Scott not ready to deal with Willie Young's speed just yet. Unfair fight— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 30, 2012
- Kyle Vanden Bosch gave Jason Fox "all he can handle" during run drills.
- The second-team defensive line currently consists of Everette Brown, Sammie Hill, Nick Fairley and a rotation of Jackson and Young.
- The second-team linebackers are still Tahir Whitehead, Ashlee Palmer and Doug Hogue.
- Bill Bentley had another solid practice on Monday.
- Jacob Lacey started out practice as one of the first-team cornerbacks, but Alphonso Smith was back in that role by the time the session came to an end. Smith helped close the day out by intercepting R.J. Archer.
- With Louis Delmas and Erik Coleman out again, Don Carey and Amari Spievey continued to serve as the first-team safeties.
- The reps at punter went to Ben Graham on Monday.
- Stefan Logan, Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were the three punt returners during Monday's practice.