The Detroit Lions held a morning practice on Monday as training camp continued. Here are notes from the session:
- As mentioned earlier, Calvin Johnson missed Monday's practice. According to Jim Schwartz, it was just a day of rest, but we shall see if that's truly the case.
- Kyle Vanden Bosch, who again missed practice on Monday, is now considered week-to-week after twisting his knee earlier in training camp.
- Here are some other players who missed Monday's practice: Mikel Leshoure, Patrick Edwards, Ryan Broyles, Sammie Hill, Louis Delmas and Don Carey.
- Although Broyles was out, he did at least play catch on the sidelines.
- Leshoure had been working with trainers on the sidelines in recent practices, but Anwar Richardson reports that he didn't on Monday.
- Ronnell Lewis and Justin Durant returned to practice on Monday after leaving Sunday's session early.
- The Lions split the first-team reps at running back between Kevin Smith and Keiland Williams on Monday.
Titus Young was back at practice on Monday after the birth of his child, and he put on quite a show.
Titus Young just put a sweet move on Bill Bentley. Ankle- breaker— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 13, 2012
Titus Young just absolutely schooled CB Bill Bentley in a coverage drill. Sick cut. Need to see more of that— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 13, 2012
Titus Young back in camp and making cuts that left Bill Bentley in the dust.— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 13, 2012
Titus just schooled Bentley again. Young has looked great all camp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 13, 2012
— Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) August 13, 2012
#Lions WR Titus Young having his way with Bill Bentley in 1-on-1 drills. Shook him bad twice
One-on-one drills belong to WRs today. CBs no match. Titus young just had his best drill period of camp.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 13, 2012
- With Calvin Johnson out, Maurice Stovall stepped in for him on the first-team offense.
- Riley Reiff got some reps as the backup right guard on Monday. This is the first time he's taken any reps at guard with the Lions.
- Jason Fox got some work as the first-team left tackle to give Jeff Backus a bit of a break.
Rob Sims like what he sees out of undrafted offensive lineman Rodney Austin.
He's a darkhorse to make the 53, but 1 backup lineman who impressed Friday was Rodney Austin. Rob Sims brought him up unprompted today.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 13, 2012
Sims on Austin: "He’s a name that you guys probably haven’t heard that much, but he was out there doing his thing."— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 13, 2012
More Sims on Austin: "He could be on somebody’s NFL team for sure. I think he’s a good player and I’m excited to see him grow."— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 13, 2012
Corey Williams did his best Willie Young impression on Monday by intercepting Matthew Stafford.
Corey Williams intercepted Matthew Stafford in 11-on-11. Corey. Williams. Rare sight.— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 13, 2012
Corey Williams with a one-handed pick 6. Well, depending on how far he would have had to run. Willie had one last week, too— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 13, 2012
- Bill Bentley shifted to nickelback on Monday, allowing Jacob Lacey to get reps at first-team cornerback opposite Chris Houston.
- As you probably could have guessed based on the tweets about Titus Young, Bentley didn't have a very good practice.
Bentley having a rough day today. Got chewed out after busting a run assignment just now and for not finishing a 1 on 1 earlier— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 13, 2012
- Fellow rookie cornerback Jonte Green also didn't have a very good practice, according to Anwar Richardson.
Rookie cornerback Jonte Green also had issues during practice. Green dropped a clear interception while defending receiver Jarett Dillard in one-on-one drills, plus was yelled at by coach Jim Schwartz for tackling teammates twice despite players not wearing pads on Monday.
- John Wendling and Erik Coleman again received the first-team reps at safety.