The Detroit Lions resumed training camp on Thursday after getting a day off on Wednesday. They practiced with officials for the first time in training camp, and they also practiced in front of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Here are notes from Thursday's session:
- The Lions broke out the I formation on Thursday.
Backus back with 1s in drills. lions running good ol' fashioned "I" formation with James Bryant at FB and K. Smith deep.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 2, 2012
- According to Anwar Richardson, running back Keiland Williams was "getting plenty of reps" on Thursday.
- Calvin Johnson and Maurice Stovall each had a touchdown against Chris Houston in the Lions' red zone drill.
Brandon Pettigrew briefly was on the sideline with trainers checking out his right knee. He seemed to be fine, though.
- Before getting banged up, Pettigrew had a really nice catch.
Pettigrew with a terrific one-handed catch down the seem. Tipped it to himself and caught it with one hand. Good stuff— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 2, 2012
Jeff Backus returned to practice on Thursday and ran with the first-team offense despite still having a cast on his injured thumb.
Jeff Backus back in action, working with the— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 2, 2012
#Lions first team. Looking agile and aggressive during run blocking.
- Riley Reiff continued to get reps as the second-team left tackle on Thursday, whereas Corey Hilliard moved to second-team right tackle with Backus returning.
- Hilliard had what was a "rare stop" by an offensive lineman on Thursday, according to Anwar Richardson. After practice, Hilliard spent some extra time on the field working with Lawrence Jackson.
- As hinted at by the note on Hilliard getting a "rare stop," it doesn't sound like the offensive line had a very good day on Thursday. I guess the flip side is that it does sound like the defensive line was outstanding.
This is the D-line's day. Absolutely crushing the OL in rush drills. Can count on one hand number of OL stops.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 2, 2012
Lawrence Jackson put a sick spin move on Gosder Cherilus in pass rushing drill.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 2, 2012
- In case you missed it earlier, Willie Young continued his impressive start to camp with another solid practice.
- Stephen Tulloch was held out of some drills on Thursday and had his left knee in a wrap because he is still dealing with some tendinitis.
- With Louis Delmas out again and Erik Coleman limited in his return to practice, the Lions lined up John Wendling and Amari Spievey at safety. Wendling again made the most of his opportunity to play with the first-team defense.
- Wendling wasn't the only player with an interception on Thursday.
Good day for back 7. Safety John Wendling, CB Chris Houston, LB Doug Hogue all have picks.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 2, 2012