Sep 9, 2012; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril (92) celebrates during the third quarter against the St. Louis Rams at Ford Field. Lions won 27-23. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-US PRESSWIRE
- Pro Football Talk reports that the Detroit Lions brought in the following defensive backs for tryouts earlier this week: Conroy Black, James Dockery, Tyrell Johnson, David Jones, Derrick Martin, Lionel Smith, Syd’Quan Thompson, Morgan Trent and Byron Westbrook.
- In case you didn't notice during last Sunday's game, Titus Young's jersey now reads "Young Sr." on the back. He made the change to honor his son, Titus Young Jr., and a permanent name change is "in the works," according to Dave Birkett.
- Speaking of Young, he was benched during the St. Louis Rams game after head-butting Janoris Jenkins after Cortland Finnegan's pick-six. Jim Schwartz called what Young did a "really dumb decision," and Schwartz made the decision to bench Young as a result.
- The Lions unveiled new banners at Ford Field last Sunday. They have banners for each of their championships, as well as banners for their playoff appearances. Each banner for their playoff appearances represents a different logo/era.
- Lions wide receiver Ryan Broyles was inactive in the team's season opener because of matchups, not health. Jim Schwartz said this week that Broyles won't regularly be among the inactives in the future.
Cliff Avril received credit for a sack on the final play of last Sunday's game after the NFL went back and reviewed the tape. The change gave the Lions a total of four sacks against the Rams.
- Dominic Raiola was nearly ineligibly downfield on the Lions' game-winning touchdown pass. Earlier this week, he made some interesting comparisons to nearly committing a penalty and negating the touchdown.
- Matthew Stafford has the third-most passing yards in NFL history for a quarterback in his first 30 starts, according to Matt Barnhart. Stafford trails only Kurt Warner and Dan Marino.
- Stafford is one of only two quarterbacks in NFL history to throw for at least 350 yards in four consecutive games. If Stafford puts up at least 350 yards again this week, he will have the record to himself (right now he shares it with Drew Brees).
- Last Sunday, Jason Hanson became the first player in NFL history to play 21 seasons with one team, according to Dave Hogg.
- Here are a couple more interesting stats from Matt Barnhart:
O-Line started season as same unit, same positions for 3rd-straight year. First time for Lions since 1980-82. DETvsSTL— Matt Barnhart (@matt_barnhart) September 9, 2012
#Lions won Sun. w/ -3 turnover margin. Last Lions win w/ -3 margin was vs Chi 11/5/72 (-4). 51 gms w/o win (1 win) w/ -3 margin before Sun.— Matt Barnhart (@matt_barnhart) September 10, 2012
- Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, who was carted off the field during last Sunday's game with a neck injury, was a full participant in practice on Thursday. It's good to see the injury was nothing serious.
- The Chicago Bears have signed former Lions offensive tackle Jonathan Scott.