USA TODAY Sports
Lions notes looks at George Yarno, awards handed out by the team, Matthew Stafford's connection to the Super Bowl and much more.
- Former Detroit Lions offensive line coach George Yarno has been hired to the same position by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Also, it sounds like former Lions running backs coach Sam Gash is going to land with the Dallas Cowboys.
- The Lions have handed out several awards in the last couple weeks. Here's a recap: offensive MVP - Calvin Johnson, defensive MVP - Chris Houston, special teams MVP - Kassim Osgood, rookie of the year - Riley Reiff, most outstanding offensive lineman - Rob Sims, most improved player - Nick Fairley, spirit award - Nate Burleson and leadership award - Kyle Vanden Bosch.
- Mike O'Hara has a good article on what Cory Schlesinger is up to these days.
- Stephen Tulloch is a big fan of the Lions' move to add Jim Washburn to the coaching staff, and Washburn is pretty thrilled with getting to work with so many familiar faces.
- Ndamukong Suh resolved his latest traffic incident a couple weeks ago by accepting a $125 fine and one point on his license.
- Suh is going to be on a diving show with Katherine Webb (A.J. McCarron's girlfriend) and other "celebrities." TMZ claims that some teammates think Suh is making a mistake by taking part in the show because of the injury risk, but I don't really buy the story. For what it's worth, Jim Schwartz isn't concerned.
- According to Albert Breer, teams can start applying the franchise tag on Feb. 18. The deadline to use it is March 4.
- Also from Breer, here are the restricted free agent tenders for this year:
And here are the tenders for RFAs ... High tender is $2.879M (1st-Rd comp); Next is $2.023M (2nd-Rd comp); Then $1.323M (original draft rd).— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) January 15, 2013
- Rod Marinelli didn't end up staying with the Chicago Bears and instead was hired as the Cowboys' defensive line coach. (Mel Tucker is the Bears' new defensive coordinator.)
- Matthew Stafford has a connection to Super Bowl 47:
- This is interesting:
#Oklahoma OT Lane Johson said emphatically the best pass rusher he faced was NOT Demontre Moore, but it was Bjoern Werner.— Mike Loyko (@NEPD_Loyko) January 22, 2013