Aaron Wilson reports that the Detroit Lions recently worked out wide receiver Matt Willis, who was with the team up until the final round of cuts this year. Willis also recently worked out for the San Diego Chargers.
- This is a pretty good stat:
From @MikeOHaraNFL, Lions 21-19 in last 40 reg season games. Were 4-36 in previous 40. Progress, ever so gradual— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) September 30, 2013
- This is also a pretty good stat:
Matthew Stafford has taken just 3 sacks among 159 dropbacks (1.9%). Best sack rate in NFL. 2012 sack rate (3.8%) has been cut in half.— Evan Silva (@evansilva) September 30, 2013
- As noted by Patrick Daugherty, Reggie Bush is currently on pace for 2,165 total yards this season.
- Bush made some history in the month of September despite missing a game.
Bush, (254 rush and 179 receiving), is 2nd Lions player with at least 250 rushing yards and 175 receiving yards in Sept. (Billy Sims, 1980).— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) September 30, 2013
Ndamukong Suh received a +5.7 grade on Pro Football Focus for his play this past Sunday. On the season, Suh has an overall grade of +17.8, which is second on defense only to Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt (+28.9).
- The Lions' franchise record for passing yards will likely be broken later in the season by Matthew Stafford.
@Staff_9 is 1,642 yards from breaking Bobby Layne's franchise passing record. At the rate he's going, it could be broken week 10 in Chicago— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) September 30, 2013
- How about some love for David Akers?
Not to be lost in Sunday's win ... Akers made 4-of-4 FGs and 4 PATs (16 pts), most by a Lions kicker since Hanson scored 16 vs. GB in 2003.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) September 30, 2013
- Jim Schwartz called the idea that Israel Idonije was tipping the Chicago Bears' calls on defense "ridiculous." Dave Birkett's film review seems to back up Schwartz's comment.
- Per Jennifer Hammond, Tony Dungy admitted on Sunday night that "they were not the same old Lions" against the Bears. Earlier in the season, Dungy said the "same old Lions" showed up when they lost to the Arizona Cardinals.
- The NFL is reportedly considering changing the preseason to three games and adding two more teams to the playoffs.
- Stanford's Barry J. Sanders looks a lot like his father on the football field.
- Even though Matt Cassel led the Minnesota Vikings to victory on Sunday, Christian Ponder is still considered their starting quarterback.
- The Tennessee Titans are reportedly open to trading wide receiver Kenny Britt, but it doesn't seem likely that the Lions will pursue a deal for him.
- The Denver Broncos are really, really good and the Jacksonville Jaguars are really, really bad.
Thru 4 games, The Jags have scored 31 points. Three times in 4 games, The Broncos have scored at least that many in a half.— trey wingo (@wingoz) September 30, 2013