- The Detroit Lions have not yet made a decision on Calvin Johnson's status for this week. However, Jim Schwartz did say this:
Schwartz on Calvin playing this week: "if there’s no medical reason to keep him out, we’ll have him out there."
- Johnson is featured on one of the regional covers of Sports Illustrated this week.
- When asked on Monday, Schwartz declined to call the 2013 season a failure for the Lions. Clearly, he has a different definition of the word "failure" than Lions fans.
- Schwartz admitted on Monday that he should have kept his mouth shut when he yelled at fans who were booing at the end of regulation on Sunday.
Schwartz: "Probably I should have done like in the second quarter and just kept it in my mind" and not yelled at fans.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) December 23, 2013
Bill Bentley did in fact get knocked out by Louis Delmas during Sunday's game. Although Bentley suffered a concussion, the good news is that his symptoms were already starting to diminish by the time the game was over.
- This is just depressing:
Lions have had a fourth quarter lead in last six games. If they had gone 3-3 they'd have the NFC North clinched. Went 1-5 and are out of it.— Michael David Smith (@MichaelDavSmith) December 23, 2013
This comic about "A very Detroit Christmas" pretty much sums up how the Lions gave away the NFC North.
- As noted by Daniel Jeremiah, all four teams in the NFC West currently have a positive point differential. In the NFC North, the Lions are actually the only team with a positive point differential. Funny how that works.
- Kurt Warner thinks Matthew Stafford is the "most undisciplined" quarterback in the NFL based on how he plays.
- NJ.com put together a nice piece on Tahir Whitehead.
- If a coaching change is made by the Lions, it's expected that Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien will be a candidate. Will he leave Penn State for the NFL, though? Signs point to the door at least being open to that possibility this year:
Could Bill O’Brien jump to NFL? We’ll see. But several teams who’ll be in the market for a new coach believe there’s a real chance he does.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) December 22, 2013
- SB Nation's latest 2014 NFL mock draft has the Lions going with Oregon cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.
- Congratulations to Brian Packey on winning the 2013 POD Fantasy Football League championship over CLF. I suppose it's fitting that our resident fantasy expert took home the title.