As we all know, there are a ton of CB's available in FA this year. A lot of them being UFA's and a lot have recently been cut by their old teams. So I'd like to share what players I think the Lions should take a look at, and what options they should go with. Feel free to add to this list or share what you think.
- Re-sign Chris Houston - PLEASE. I think everyone can agree that this is one of our top priorities. PFF had him rated as the 23rd best CB last year, he is the 2nd best rated FA CB available right now, only behind Terrence Newman. He has been a solid #1 for us and doesn't give up many big plays. If we could get a solid #2 CB playing across from him, I think he could get a lot more recognition and possibly be a Pro Bowl corner.
- Derek Cox - Cox was the Jags' #1 corner last year and did very well aside from getting lit up by Megatron and the Lions last year (no one can blame him for that). Having him as our #2 corner would only make him better.
- Chris Gamble - I would have made him my #2 option if it wasn't for his shoulder injury, causing him to miss most of last year. Regardless, this guy is a complete beast and shutdown corner. Over the past 3 years, the longest catch he has given up is a 35 yarder. I'm not sure how much he would cost or how that would affect the rest of our plans for the offseason, but having Houston and Gamble on the field at the same time would be a treat to watch.
- Brent Grimes - I honestly don't see this happening at all, mostly because the Falcons already cut Dunta Robinson and they're going to need to sign Brent Grimes. But if they for some reason don't re-sign him, then the Lions need to look into signing this guy. He missed all of last year with an achilles injury in week 1, so obviously that is a big concern. But this guy is one of the best shutdown corners out there when he is healthy. From 2010-2011, Grimes was targeted 183 times and only gave up 92 catches and 1000 yards.
- Sheldon Brown - This would probably be a cheaper option and let us go for some other FA's. He was solid the past couple years and would definitely be an upgrade and bring us some depth.
- Keenan Lewis - Another solid corner who played very well last year. Was targeted 112 times last year, only giving up 59 catches. Not the playmaker the Lions are looking for (1 interception in 45 games), but he still gets the job done.