Hi there Lions,
The past few weeks I have been looking carefully at Lane Johnson and now I truly believe that he is the best OT of the entire draft! I know this is not the popular opinion probably because he has less time playing as Tackle compared to Fisher or Joeckel, but if he played QB how much work he will face to learn OT?
Lane Johnson may lacked time to prove everyone he should be taken number one, and you know what? thats the great thing about this! We could get a draft steal at #5
I hope the Lions take him without thinking who else is available. Let me explain you why:
1) Lane Johnson not only has all the physical attributes that an OT requires but he also is a freak of nature! He ran faster than A. Boldin did in his combine and jumped higher than AJ. Green. (WR attributes)
2) He played (not so long ago) QB, that means he is a smart kid who understands defenses and probably that will help him to anticipate blitzes. Also he should know a thing or two about leadership and to play under pressure.
3) He has been improving since his first snap as OT as Mayock said "he has the highest ceiling” and he did the best performance in the last 10 years in his opinion.
4) He also has a nasty way to play at OT! Just look at some highlights. That is always good when you face the best DE. Make them know you are there to stop them all day long.
5) He has great push and quickly gets to the second level of the defense. I would love to see Bush behind this guy!!
So in conclusion I see a great OT that bring all the great things that Fisher and Joeckel have except for playing time BUT he also brings to the table the athleticism of a WR, the intelligence and steady hand of a QB and the nasty personality of a defender. What else can you ask for a #5 pick?
Let me know what you think!