- Martin Mayhew has again denied that the Detroit Lions were planning to pick Denard Robinson before he was taken a couple picks earlier by the Jacksonville Jaguars. According to an earlier report, Robinson was told that the Lions were planning to select him, but Mayhew said on Monday that if Robinson received a phone call, it wasn't authorized by him.
- Gil Brandt is a fan of the Ezekiel Ansah pick.
The Lions really helped themselves on defense. Ziggy Ansah will be an absolutely great player.
- The Lions put together a video of Ansah showing off his sense of humor during his introductory press conference.
- This is a pretty interesting stat:
- Darius Slay has decided to wear No. 30 for the Lions.
- Larry Warford's nickname is "Big Larry."
- Jim Schwartz had a funny pretty line about "Big Larry" after the Lions picked him last Friday.
Good line from Schwartz on Warford: "I mean, he's not going to be on the men of the Lions calendar. I don’t know if we’d sell very many."— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) April 27, 2013
- Lions seventh-round pick Brandon Hepburn also has a pretty great nickname.
Brandon Hepburn said his nickname is The Hulk, you know, the nuclear physicist and biochemist who had a mean streak. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) April 27, 2013
- Lions sixth-round pick Corey Fuller is the brother of Vincent Fuller, who played for the Lions in 2011 and also played for Schwartz in Tennessee.
- Lions fifth-round pick Sam Martin has some connections to the state of Michigan.
New #Lions punter Sam Martin said his dad played baseball at Eastern Michigan and his mom is from Union Lake.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) April 27, 2013
- The Tennessee Titans traded up in the second round to draft wide receiver Justin Hunter because they reportedly thought the Lions were going to take him.
- The Lions gave some thought to drafting a quarterback in one of the later rounds this year to compete with Kellen Moore.
- Lions undrafted free agent Cody Wilson is the son of the Lions' team chaplain.
- SB Nation's list of the top 10 undrafted free agent signings includes tight end Joseph Fauria, who signed with the Lions.
- Mocking The Draft has released its top 64 big board for the 2014 draft.
- Dwight Freeney has reportedly lowered his asking price to "Osi Umenyiora money." I can't imagine the Lions would be interested in signing him after drafting two defensive ends, but I suppose having a veteran like him around to help mentor Ansah and Devin Taylor wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.