Glover Quin was the first Detroit Lions player on the field as training camp got underway on Friday.
- According to Tim Twentyman, Nick Fairley lost around 21 pounds as he got ready for training camp. I think it's safe to say Fairley is stepping up his game for the 2013 season.
- Initially, the Lions had Willie Young and Jason Jones playing with the first-team defense and Ziggy Ansah and Israel Idonije lining up as the second-team defensive ends. Ansah later got some work with the No. 1s, though.
- As expected, Ashlee Palmer received first-team reps at outside linebacker.
- The first-team secondary featured Chris Houston and Ron Bartell at cornerback, Bill Bentley at nickelback and Quin and Don Carey at safety.
Chris Greenwood worked with the third-team defense, according to Twentyman.
- Ansah was the first player to jump offside on Friday, according to Mike Mady. He's fitting in already!
- Ansah, as reported earlier, suffered a minor ankle injury when he got stepped on. Also, Idonije's hip or abdomen was being looked at, according to Justin Rogers.
- It sounds like Bentley had a solid practice on Friday.
Bill Bentley with his hand on two straight incompletions.
Suddenly a defensive show in 11 on 11. Jones, Bentley and Houston all with PDs. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) July 26, 2013
Three times Stafford went to Calvin on sideline route and three times Lions corners made great PBU Houston and @billbentley— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) July 26, 2013
- Quin had a diving interception against Matthew Stafford. Josh Katzenstein described it as a "bad throw, but still a great play" by Quin.