The Detroit Lions were back in pads for their practice on Day 5 of training camp. Fans were once again in attendance, as were coaches from Michigan State, who stopped by after watching the Chicago Bears practice on Monday.
Here are some notes from Tuesday's practice:
- Tuesday's first-team offensive line featured Jake Scott at right guard and Corey Hilliard at right tackle. Larry Warford also subbed in as the No. 1 right guard for the second day in a row.
- Per Tim Twentyman, Montell Owens had a "great block" on Travis Lewis in the Lions' 4-on-4 run blocking drill.
- Also per Twentyman, Corey Fuller made an excellent catch.
Rookie WR Corey Fuller with a nice catch on a deep ball along right sideline in final rep of 7-on-7. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) July 30, 2013
- Cody Wilson also had an impressive reception on Tuesday.
- Herman Moore stopped by practice on Tuesday and got a picture with Ryan Broyles.
- Travis Lewis was the No. 1 left outside linebacker on Tuesday. As of right now, it doesn't look like Lewis, Ashlee Palmer or Tahir Whitehead has pulled away in the battle for the starting spot at this position. Palmer did say on Tuesday that he feels like it's his job to lose, though.
- The Lions' secondary in their 7-on-7 drill featured Chris Houston and Darius Slay at cornerback, Bill Bentley at nickelback and Glover Quin and Louis Delmas at safety.
- Speaking of the secondary, Matthew Stafford is very impressed with what he's seen out of the defensive backs so far in training camp.
- It doesn't sound like Israel Idonije did very well in one of the drills on Tuesday.
- Per Chris McCosky, Gunther Cunningham gave a "verbal lashing" to the Lions' second-team defense on Tuesday.
- I'll take Ndamukong Suh in this battle:
Getting nice and chippy between Suh and Jake Scott.— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 30, 2013
- Former Lions defensive end Bubba Baker was at practice on Tuesday, and he had some great things to say about Suh and the D-line.
Former #Lions DE Al "Bubba" Baker: "I have to admit I have a man crush on Ndamukong Suh. I've already told my wife."— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) July 30, 2013
Bubba Baker told Suh this current D-line has potential to surpass his Silver Rush. Suh said, "Those words mean a lot coming from his mouth."— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 30, 2013
- David Akers and Havard Rugland were both perfect on field goals on Tuesday. According to Josh Katzenstein, Akers went 2-for-2 and had a long of 48, while Rugland went 3-for-3 with a long of 50.
- McCosky thinks Cory Greenwood could make the 53-man roster for his play on special teams.
Random observation: Cory Greenwood is going to make this team. He could take Palmer's spot on ST so Palmer can play OLB full time— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 30, 2013
- Sam Martin is enjoying his time in training camp.
Another great day of camp. Love meeting the fans.— Sam Martin (@SamMartin_6) July 30, 2013