- The Detroit Lions released Jahvid Best because "it just got to a point where it was a virtual certainty that he was not going to play" for them in 2013, according to Martin Mayhew. Given the situation and the desire to free up future cap room and a roster spot, the Lions decided to move on.
- Simply from a travel standpoint, the Lions have a pretty favorable schedule this year.
Mileage plus: The #49ers will travel a league-high 32,948 miles this year. The Lions have a league-low 4,202 miles.
The Detroit News reports that Kellen Moore and Thaddeus Lewis are "neck and neck" in the competition for the third spot on the depth chart at quarterback, according to quarterbacks coach Todd Downing.
- On Sunday, despite practice being over, Calvin Johnson went right from his media session to the football field to catch more footballs. There's a reason he's the best wide receiver in football.
Rob Sims is serving as a mentor of sorts to Larry Warford.
- Former Lions kicker Eddie Murray attended practices last weekend to share some tips with Havard Rugland, Sam Martin and Blake Clingan.
Glover Quin is not a fan of the new knee and thigh pads that players are now required to wear.
- The addition of Quin may mean more blitzes for the Lions this year.
Reggie Bush is making the switch from adidas to Nike.
- The MMQB's Lions preview was posted this week.