Detroit Lions training camp got back underway on Thursday after a day off. The Lions practiced in full pads, and there were quite a few interesting tidbits from the session, so let's get right into it:
- The rotation at right guard and right tackle saw Dylan Gandy and Jason Fox taking first-team reps on Thursday.
- Per Josh Katzenstein, Chaz Schilens lined up with the first-team offense for at least one rep.
Patrick Edwards has also been getting first-team reps, mainly as one of the outside wide receivers, according to Dave Birkett.
- Speaking of Edwards, he had a pretty great catch on Thursday.
Patrick Edwards with a great diving catch down sideline in one-one-one drills with DBs. Missed who was on coverage. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 1, 2013
Calvin Johnson just continues to do ridiculous things on the football field.
Stafford being Stafford and Calvin being Calvin: Off balance throw running to his left, finding 81, who snagged it falling back over Bartell— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 1, 2013
Also, on one play, Slay lined up against Calvin Johnson. He held him the entire time (flag thrown) and CJ still got separation and the ball— Mike Mady (@lionsreport) August 1, 2013
- The Lions' first-team offense capped off their two-minute drill with a touchdown catch by Brandon Pettigrew, who impressed NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah on Thursday.
Brandon Pettigrew needs to have a big year. He looked good today...Not explosive but he has an enormous catching radius & good feel vs zone— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) August 1, 2013
- Matthew Stafford's side-arm throwing style returned for at least one play on Thursday. It worked, by the way.
- It sounds like Joique Bell had a pretty successful offseason.
#Lions RB Joique Bell told me he lost 6 lbs. and dropped 5 percent body fat this offseason, and he feels quicker, healthier and more agile.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 1, 2013
- Katzenstein thinks LaAdrian Waddle, who is a candidate for the Lions' fourth spot at offensive tackle, is looking solid in training camp.
- With Jason Jones, Israel Idonije and Willie Young out on Thursday, Ronnell Lewis and Devin Taylor got a chance to take some first-team reps at defensive end.
- Jim Schwartz had some praise for Taylor on Thursday.
Ashlee Palmer served as the Lions' first-team left outside linebacker on Thursday.
- It's hard not to get hyped up about Ndamukong Suh.
Suh just blew up that run play and ended up on top of Bush. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 1, 2013
Suh blowing things up in 11-on-11— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 1, 2013
Suh is in phenomenal shape. His combination of power & hand quickness is rare. He's a legit DPOY candidate.— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) August 1, 2013
- Actually, it's hard not to get hyped up about the entire defense. It sounds like that unit had a really solid practice.
Stafford has had to leave the pocket a lot more today. DL doing a good job collapsing things on him. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 1, 2013
Very impressed by the Lions DL group...looks like a basketball team.— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) August 1, 2013
- During a drill, the Lions had Suh at left defensive end and Taylor and Ziggy Ansah lined up at defensive tackle, according to Dave Birkett.
- For a recap of the Lions' offensive line vs. defensive line drill, go here.
Havard Rugland and David Akers weren't able to go perfect on their field goals on Thursday.
Tim Twentyman reports that the Lions had Reggie Bush, Steven Miller, Patrick Edwards and Micheal Spurlock working in a group together on punt returns.
Sam Martin will likely end up winning the starting punter job, and he could end up contributing on kickoffs as well.
Schwartz said a big reason Sam Martin was drafted was for his big legs - on punts AND kickoffs.— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 1, 2013
More from Pride Of Detroit:
- Lions happy with current group of offensive tackles
- Lions training camp injury update: Ron Bartell returns to practice
- Lions training camp: Recap of Thursday's OL vs. DL drill
- Lions training camp: Havard Rugland, David Akers not perfect on Thursday
- Lions training camp: Ronnell Lewis activated from NFI list