Following a day off, the Detroit Lions returned to work on Saturday with an afternoon practice. Below is a rundown of various tidbits from the practice.
Calvin Johnson returned to practice after missing some time earlier in the week.
- The Lions were without QB Shaun Hill, TE Matt Veldman, DE Jason Jones, LB Cory Greenwood, CB Ross Weaver and S Louis Delmas on Saturday.
Nick Fairley didn't take part in the team drills because he is sick.
Darius Slay took over Ron Bartell's spot as the No. 1 right cornerback. It sort of feels like that could be a permanent move.
Rashean Mathis, who just signed with the Lions on Saturday, practiced at both cornerback and safety.
- New Lions defensive tackle Justin Bannan practiced with the second-team defense on Saturday.
Dylan Gandy and Corey Hilliard made up the right side of the Lions' No. 1 offensive line.
- Per Dave Birkett, Leroy Harris got some reps at center on Saturday.
- Jim Schwartz explained that Tony Scheffler only played three snaps against the Cleveland Browns because the Lions wanted to get Ryan Broyles in the game more.
More from Pride Of Detroit:
- Lions rumors: Detroit looking for help at RT?
- Pro Football Focus reviews Lions' performance against Browns
- Lions sign Rashean Mathis, release Trevor Coston
- Lions training camp: Saturday open thread
- Lions sign Rocky McIntosh, release Adrian Moten