- Like seemingly every Sunday, Calvin Johnson put his name in the record books against the Washington Redskins. For starters, he became only the fifth player in NFL history to reach 8,000 yards receiving in less than 100 games, and he became just the second player in team history to get to 8,000 yards receiving. What's more, he tied Herman Moore's franchise record for the most games with at least 100 yards receiving (34).
- In addition to those statistical feats, Johnson recorded his 500th career catch on Sunday, putting him in some elite company for receivers with 500 catches and 8,000 yards in less than 100 games.
- Matthew Stafford joined some elite company of his own by becoming just the second player since 2001 to throw for at least 200 yards in the first half in each of his first three games of the season, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Tom Brady is the only other player to accomplish that feat since '01.
- Stafford is currently on pace to throw for 5,440 yards this season. (He has 1,020 through three games.)
- At the end of Sunday's game, when the Redskins threw a Hail Mary, the Lions put Johnson back deep with Glover Quin and Louis Delmas.
- As noted by Dave Birkett, Sunday's game was Joique Bell's first start since November 2009, when he was still at Wayne State. And as noted by Chris McCosky, Bell became the first Wayne State player to start a game in the NFL since Tom Beer in 1996. (Both of those stats were produced by Joe Abramson.)
- The Lions decided to start Rashean Mathis at cornerback on Sunday instead of Darius Slay. After the game, Jim Schwartz explained the thought process behind the decision:
Schwartz: Slay's going to be an outstanding player. As a rookie he's going to see a lot. This was a complicated gameplan against spread.— Tom Leyden (@TomLeyden) September 22, 2013
- The Lions' offensive line has gotten the job done in a big way through three games. As noted by Daniel Jeremiah, the Lions have thrown the ball 121 times, and yet they've allowed only 2 sacks thus far.
- Nate Burleson had quite a game on Sunday. His 116 yards receiving were the most for him since the end of the 2007 season, and he had a great comment about his performance afterward:
- The Redskins defense was as bad as advertised.
- In case you missed it on Sunday, SB Nation has a GIF of Schwartz's post-game headset toss. You can also find a GIF of Stafford's priceless reaction when the ball was snapped before he was ready.
- This had to have been quite the sight:
Spotted at FedEx Field: A Brett Perriman jersey, sitting next to a Scott Mitchell jersey— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) September 22, 2013
- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton may have suffered a torn ACL on Sunday night.
- Arizona Cardinals safety Rashad Johnson lost part of his finger during his game on Sunday, and he kept playing anyway. AHHHHHH!!!