- Sunday's Detroit Lions game against the Minnesota Vikings is officially a sellout.
- The Lions are planning to announce their 2013 captains on Friday.
- Vikings defensive end Jared Allen is entering the final year of his contract, and he said "never say never" when asked this week about the possibility of someday playing for the Lions.
- Allen is looking forward to matching up with someone other than Jeff Backus when he takes on the Lions this season.
Allen on not facing Backus for first time: "He had a notebook on me and I had a notebook on him ... I'm looking forward to new challenge."— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) September 4, 2013
- The Lions have the fewest "homegrown" players on their roster in the entire NFL. In this case, "homegrown" means "players on teams' rosters who have not appeared in a regular-season game for another team." The Lions only have 28, whereas the Green Bay Packers lead the NFL with 50.
- Pro Football Focus apparently graded the Lions as the No. 1 offensive line in pass blocking and the No. 9 offensive line in run blocking in the preseason.
- Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio has the Lions beating both the Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers in the playoffs before losing to the Packers in the NFC title game. Umm, yes please.
- Football Outsiders' DVOA projection gives the Lions a 22.8 percent chance of making the playoffs and 0.5 percent chance of winning the Super Bowl.