- Montell Owens recently restructured his contract to take a pay cut, which increases the chances of him actually remaining on the roster going forward. Here are the details:
Lions FB Montell Owens renegotiated contract last month. Reduced base by $395k, can recoup $200k w/per game incentives. Cap # drops by $195k
Owens got a $125k signing bonus and has a $100k roster bonus due in March. Gets another $12,500 for every game he plays basically— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) January 13, 2014
- Jason Cole reports that the Detroit Lions are planning to bring two or three candidates in to "meet William Clay Ford Sr." Considering only three of the candidates they have interviewed are still available, it appears that Jim Caldwell and Mike Munchak could both get a second interview. Gary Kubiak doesn't seem to be in the mix at this point, though.
- This is a joke, right? RIGHT?
Should Jim Caldwell wind up getting the #Lions HC job, don't be surprised to see him look to add Jim Tressel to his offensive staff.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) January 14, 2014
- For future reference, the Lions next play the Tennessee Titans in 2016 at Ford Field. If Ken Whisenhunt is still the Titans' head coach by then, that could be a pretty interesting game from a storylines standpoint.
- Nate Burleson highlighted the ability to "demand respect" as one of the things he's looking for in the Lions' new head coach.
- This is a pretty remarkable stat:
Today's fun fact: Of the 11 coaches hired in '09, only Rex Ryan remains. And Martin Mayhew is the only GM still in place from those 11 teams— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) January 13, 2014
- Calvin Johnson and Ndamukong Suh both made the PFWA All-NFL team for 2013.
- The Lions came in seventh in Pro Football Focus' 2013 offensive line rankings.
- SB Nation's latest 2014 NFL mock draft has Sammy Watkins going to the Lions.
- Tickets for the Lions' game in London next season are set to go on sale on Thursday to the general public.
- Don't expect teams to exercise the fifth-year options for their 2011 first-round draft picks until May 3 or thereabouts. (There's no point to do it before the deadline since injuries could happen and change teams' plans.)