- When asked on Thursday about the chances of Louis Delmas re-signing with the Detroit Lions, head coach Jim Caldwell didn't sound overly optimistic.
Caldwell on possibility of S Louis Delmas returning to Lions: "I think in this business you never say never, but we'll see what happens."— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) February 20, 2014
- It's official: Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi will call the plays for the Lions in 2014.
Jim Caldwell said Joe Lombardi will call plays for the Lions this year, though he'll have plenty of input in the game plan— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) February 20, 2014
- Mark this date down on your calendar:
Lions offseason program starts April 7, Caldwell said— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) February 20, 2014
- Keep the name Zach Hocker in mind if the Lions decide to draft a kicker this year.
Kyle Meinke reports that the Lions informally interviewed North Carolina center Russell Bodine on Wednesday night. Also, Michael Rothstein reports that the Lions plan on speaking with Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas while at the combine.
- This seems like a very odd reason to be a Lions fan, but it'll make for a pretty interesting story if Joe Don Duncan ends up being drafted by Detroit.
Random combine note of the day: Dixie State TE Joe Don Duncan, who's from LA, grew up a Lions fan b/c he liked Joey Harrington at Oregon.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) February 20, 2014
Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith didn't have much to say when asked about what kind of contact he had with the Lions during their coaching search.
- The Chicago Bears are putting a big focus on fixing their defense this offseason.
Trestman: "Going to be a defensive -oriented draft" for the Bears— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurke_SI) February 20, 2014