Ziggy Ansah isn't the only Detroit Lions player who recently had surgery (it took place in Los Angeles a few weeks ago). It turns out that Glover Quin underwent a "small procedure" to repair an ankle injury that he dealt with last season, and there are apparently other players who have had surgery this offseason as well.
Mayhew says "a lot" of guys have had surgery, but he won't name names.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) February 21, 2014
- Speaking of Ansah's surgery, the Lions apparently red-flagged his shoulder before drafting him last year as something that might need to be fixed at some point.
- Based on what Mayhew said on Friday, don't expect the Lions to re-sign Nate Burleson or Louis Delmas.
Mayhew believes that Joe Lombardi and Teryl Austin could both be future head coaches.
- There's a report out there that Carlin Isles is headed to Scotland to play rugby instead of joining the Lions, but Mayhew hasn't heard from Isles yet about whether or not that is true.
- It appears that the Lions have either already met with or are planning to meet with nearly every notable wide receiver at the NFL Combine. Don't believe me? The following wide receivers are just some of the players meeting with the Lions this week in Indianapolis: Cody Hoffman (BYU), Jeff Janis (Saginaw Valley State), Donte Moncrief (Mississippi), Odell Beckham Jr. (LSU), Paul Richardson (Colorado) and Brandin Cooks (Oregon State). Also, the Lions interviewed UCLA's Shaquelle Evans at the Senior Bowl last month.
- The Lions are also taking a close look at centers this week at the combine. According to MLive, they have already met with Weston Richburg (Colorado State), Russell Bodine (North Carolina) and Bryan Stork (Florida State).
Tennessee Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt answered a couple Lions-related questions at the NFL Combine on Thursday.
Tenn coach Ken Whisenhunt said he has a positive view of Matthew Stafford and that Stafford's presence was "absolutely not" a turnoff of job— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) February 20, 2014
Ken Whisenhunt on Lions D coordinator Teryl Austin: " He's a sponge. He's learned things from everywhere he's been."— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) February 20, 2014
Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone explained why he decided to hire former Lions head coach Jim Schwartz and former Lions quarterbacks coach Todd Downing.
Bills coach Doug Marrone said part of reason he hired Jim Schwartz as DC was b/c he remembers Schwartz's Ds being tough to plan for in Tenn.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) February 20, 2014
Doug Marrone said part of reason Bills hired Todd Downing as QB coach was his work with EJ Manuel at Sr. Bowl in 2013.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) February 20, 2014
- Pro Football Talk posted a wild story on Friday about the San Francisco 49ers nearly trading Jim Harbaugh -- yes, the head coach -- to the Cleveland Browns this offseason. I have no idea if the report is actually true or not, but it led to this great interaction on Twitter (Jed York is the 49ers' CEO):
*Grabs popcorn* pic.twitter.com/dB3mKKz9yg— Pride Of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) February 21, 2014