- Why do the Detroit Lions want to sign Ndamukong Suh to a long-term deal? Perhaps this will answer any questions you may have:
Lions' breakdown of Ndamukong Suh for '13 showed more than 150 impact plays, not just sacks. DT avg. is less than 100, GM Martin Mayhew says
Martin Mayhew feels comfortable with the prospect of LaAdrian Waddle or Corey Hilliard starting at right tackle for the Lions next season, but he's not willing to close the door on potentially making an upgrade at the position. The only scenario where I could see them upgrading is if one of the top offensive tackles in the draft falls to them at No. 10, but even then, it's hard to imagine that they would spend a first-round pick on a position so low on their list of needs.
- What will the Lions do with the 10th overall pick? You can rule out kicker and punter, but that's it. (Insert long snapper joke here.)
- Keep this in mind when thinking about potential additions at outside linebacker this offseason:
Mayhew said because Lions will have will and Sam LBs this year, the team will look closer at lbs that play closer to the line.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) February 21, 2014
- This just about sums up the ridiculousness of the concern over how Matthew Stafford wears his hat:
Mayhew said he finds that talk about Stafford 's backwards hat silly. Said he hasn't read any leadership books that mention how u wear hat— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) February 21, 2014
- Based on last Thursday's news about the NFL salary cap jumping up to $130 million for 2014, here are the new projected numbers for franchise tags and restricted free agent tenders:
Franchise tags with $130M salary cap should be: CB-$11.567M; DE-$12.82M; DT-$9.436M; LB-$11.196M; OL-$11.434M; P/K-$3.476M; QB-$16.531M— Joel Corry (@corryjoel) February 20, 2014
Franchise tags (continued):RB-$9.325M; S-$8.249M; TE-$6.894M; WR-$11.858M.— Joel Corry (@corryjoel) February 20, 2014
With a $130M salary cap (5.69% increase), RFA tenders should be $1.398M (draft round), $2.138M (2nd round) & $3.043M (1st round).— Joel Corry (@corryjoel) February 20, 2014
- Soon-to-be free agent Hakeem Nicks has joined Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports for marketing, but Pro Football Talk reports that CAA will actually handle his contract. There has been speculation that Suh could end up having a similar setup.