I am in no way saying these things are absolute locks to happen, they are just my bold predictions. They are more hunches of what I think will happen rather than guarantees.
1. Brandin Cooks will go before Kelvin Benjamin. I haven't seen a single mock that has this happening, but in my opinion Cooks is an outstanding receiver, and some team will overlook his height and they will be glad they did. I am not sure why he isn't getting more love from people. He is like Steve Smith 2.0. If Tavon Austin (who is 15lbs. lighter than Cooks) can get picked at #8 last year, I can't see Cooks falling as far as he is in most mocks. He is just a much better receiver than Benjamin right now. I see him as the third best receiver in this draft, behind Watkins and Evans.
2. Anthony Barr will go ahead of Mack. Barr seemed to be the number one ranked OLB before the combine, and many mock drafts had him going top 5. Now he is falling outside the top 10 in many mocks and I am not sure why. Just because people are realizing how good Mack is doesn't mean Barr's stock should take a hit. I think this is a very similar situation to last year with Eric Fisher and Luke Joekel. Teams value potential and upside, and that is why Fisher went ahead of Joekel, who was considered the better prospect for most of the lead up to the draft. When you have 2 outstanding prospects, the teams will take the one with more upside. Barr is new to the position, so he has more room to grow. He also posted the lowest bench press total for his position group, which some teams will view as a negative (possible lack of work ethic and commitment), but others will look at it as even more room for him to get better - thinking that once they get him in their weight room, he will get stronger. Also, pass rushers tend to get drafted higher as they are in more demand, so a rush linebacker like Barr will be very desirable.
3. Aaron Donald will be the 1st DT taken. Again, I haven't seen a single mock that has this happening, but he had a great season and then blew up the combine to cement his status as the top DT in my mind. His only knock is his size; however he is only 8 lbs. lighter than Geno Atkins. They are very similar players, only Donald is even faster and more explosive (he had better bench-press, 40, 3 cone, and 10 yard split numbers). How many teams would love to have a Geno Atkins clone on their team?
4. The top 3 left tackles will all get drafted in the top 10. Last year 3 went in the top 4 and from what I have read, many draft experts think the top 3 tackles this year are better than those 3 from last year. Blind side protectors are a premium position, so they tend to get drafted higher than other positions. The only way I can see this not happening, is if 3 QBs get drafted in the top ten. That would probably push one of the tackles outside the top 10, probably Lewan.
5. Half of Pride of Detroit will be livid after the Lions make their pick. Millen's name will be referenced several hundred times, with people complaining about the pick, while also stating "I can't believe we passed up so-and-so (insert name of favorite player here)". Ok, this one isn't that bold. It is more of a given.
What are your thoughts? What are your predictions? Let’s discuss.