- If Shaun Hill hits the open market, keep an eye on what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers do at quarterback.
- The Free Press recently spoke to Michael Husted, a former NFL kicker who has worked with both Giorgio Tavecchio and Havard Rugland. Rugland, of course, was with the Detroit Lions last summer, and Tavecchio is hoping to win the Lions' starting kicker job this year. This quote from Husted, which was based on a workout that Tavecchio and Rugland did together, sounds encouraging: "Giorgio was head and shoulders better than Havard."
- Josh Katzenstein reports that the Lions aren't planning to re-sign wide receiver Micheal Spurlock.
Chris Clemons at safety is name I've heard RT @LaxBro77: any idea on who Lions top targets in FA might be? Byrd?— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 6, 2014
- Here's another tweet to file away for later given Joe Lombardi's connections to the New Orleans Saints:
Saints shopping RB Pierre Thomas and WR Lance Moore to other teams, per sources, and even could be open to trading RB Darren Sproles also.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 6, 2014
- Michael Rothstein reports that defensive tackle Corvey Irvin, who signed with the Lions on Monday, got a one-year deal worth $730,000. His cap number is only $570,000, though.
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco thinks the Lions should try to sign Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who we looked at earlier this week.
- Todd McShay's latest 2014 NFL mock draft has the Lions taking Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans. Interestingly, McShay has the Minnesota Vikings taking Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert with the eighth overall pick.
- Former Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian had some interesting things to say about Jim Caldwell this week. For starters, Polian believes that Caldwell values wide receivers with "really good hands," and he said this about how Caldwell will work with Matthew Stafford:
Polian on how Caldwell will help Stafford: "Matthew's going to have to work every day on his fundamentals just as Peyton did"— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 5, 2014
- Caldwell's quarterback in Baltimore, Joe Flacco, led the NFL in dropbacks from the shotgun last season. Stafford was third in the league, so he's already used to operating out of the shotgun quite a bit.
- Joseph Fauria met with Caldwell for the first time this week.
Just finally met Coach Caldwell & the rest of the new coaching staff. Good to see familiar faces too. Something Great is brewing in Detroit!— Joseph Fauria (@BigJoeFauria) March 5, 2014
- The NFL reinstated Seattle Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner this week. He is set to become a free agent next week and will be suspended for the first four games of 2014.
- SB Nation has an in-depth piece on the NFL scouting process.