Following each Detroit Lions pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, an approval rating poll was presented for you guys to vote on. The polls served as a way to gauge the immediate reaction that fans had to the eight picks that were made over the course of three days. Now it's time to take a look at the results and see what approval ratings you gave those eight picks.
- Round 1 - Pick No. 10 - TE Eric Ebron (North Carolina) - 54% (3,448 votes)
The reaction to the Ebron pick was quite split. Only slightly more than half of the votes were in favor of the Lions taking Ebron in the first round, and this was actually the lowest-rated pick for this year's draft class. (For what it's worth, the Ziggy Ansah pick received a 67% approval rating last year.)
- Round 2 - Pick No. 40 - OLB Kyle Van Noy (BYU) - 97% (1,975 votes)
- Round 3 - Pick No. 76 - C Travis Swanson (Arkansas) - 79% (1,916 votes)
The reaction was much more positive for the Lions' picks on Day 2 of the draft, as evidenced by a 97% approval rating for the Van Noy selection. This nearly matched the amazing 98% approval rating that the Larry Warford pick got last year, but it came up just short. The Swanson pick, meanwhile, got a pretty solid approval rating of 79%.
- Round 4 - Pick No. 133 - CB Nevin Lawson (Utah State) - 57% (1,540 votes)
- Round 4 - Pick No. 136 - DE Larry Webster (Bloomsburg) - 85% (1,192 votes)
- Round 5 - Pick No. 158 - DT Caraun Reid (Princeton) - 87% (1,158 votes)
- Round 6 - Pick No. 189 - WR TJ Jones (Notre Dame) - 83% (1,240 votes)
- Round 7 - Pick No. 229 - K Nate Freese (Boston College) - 95% (1,332 votes)
The final day of the draft began with the Lawson pick receiving only a 57% approval rating. After that, it was all positive. Every other approval rating for the final day of the draft was at least 83%, and the Freese approval rating came in at 95%. Needless to say, fans were quite glad that the Lions drafted a kicker.
The average approval rating for this year's picks came in at around 80%. This would put the Lions' grade in the B- range, but for their entire draft, you guys actually have them in the B to B+ range.