- On the first day of the Detroit Lions' rookie minicamp, Jim Caldwell said that Chris Houston might not be ready for the start of training camp because of the toe surgery he had last week. On the final day of the minicamp, Caldwell made more news by saying that he expects Ndamukong Suh to be in town this week for the Lions' first set of OTAs.
- Eric Ebron has already spent some time practicing with Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson.
- Nevin Lawson had a pretty great comment about being teammates with Johnson.
Lawson on Calvin Johnson: "It's just an honor to be in his presence."
- Travis Swanson practiced at both center and offensive guard during the minicamp.
- The Lions are planning to have Nate Freese, who worked with Jason Hanson during the minicamp, compete with Sam Martin for the kickoff specialist job.
- Cornelius Lucas is using his undrafted status as motivation.
I asked T Cornelius Lucas today if he has a chip on his shoulder not being drafted -- "I'd say it's more like a boulder," he told me.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) May 17, 2014
- As noted by Josh Katzenstein, Caraun Reid and Bill Ford Jr. both went to Princeton.
Lions DT Caraun Reid said he met fellow Princeton alum Bill Ford Jr. yesterday.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) May 16, 2014
- The Chicago Bears' decision to draft Kyle Fuller has provided Corey Fuller with some extra motivation to make the Lions' 53-man roster.
Lions WR Corey Fuller said his motivation to make the 53-man roster is the chance to line up against brother Kyle and Chicago twice a year.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) May 18, 2014
- Larry Webster has decided to wear No. 79 (Willie Young's old number).
- In other jersey news, it sounds like Kyle Van Noy isn't planning to keep No. 95, which is his current number. Chances are he will switch it before the regular season begins.