Just after he was named the starting tight end over Marcus Pollard, Casey FitzSimmons has had that taken away from him because of a fractured wrist. As stated earlier, FitzSimmons was trying to bring in an overthrown pass by Jon Kitna in the endzone and ended up landing awkwardly on his wrist. That ended up breaking it and he now will have to sit on the sidelines for an extended amount of time.
This is the longest length of injury sustained by a Lions player thusfar during the preseason. FitzSimmons will be out 4-6 weeks. Detroit isn't hurting for a solid starter at tight end as Pollard will now take back the position he occupied all of last season. The depth factor however will come into play for some of the players fighting to make the final roster. Already the Lions added another tight end (more on that later) to the current roster, and that will take away one spot on the roster that a player could've used. FitzSimmons will have a spot and his replacement for the time being will also.
This injury was one that just wasn't needed, and the fact that it is so serious doesn't help the matter either.
NOTES FROM MONDAY'S TRAINING CAMP
- The team practiced in both the morning and afternoon yesterday. During the morning session on the outdoor fields, players practiced in pads. But, during the afternoon session on the indoor fields, players only practiced in helmets and shorts.
- With the injury to Casey FitzSimmons, there was a need for another tight end to add some depth at that position. Jed Weaver was signed to do that. Weaver, who was waived by the Patriots just before the start of last season, didn't play at all in 2005.
- Roy Williams missed the morning session of practice with a minor injury, but was back on the field for the afternoon session. Casey FitzSimmons, Shaun Rogers, Barry Stokes, Rex Tucker and Damien Woody all missed both sessions of practice with continued injuries.
- Dan Orlovsky and Josh McCown are having a competition of their own for the backup role behind Jon Kitna. Orlovsky was the second QB to take the field during last Friday's preseason game, and was also playing with the second string during the Black & Blue scrimmage. McCown took reps with the second team yesterday, but Orlovsky appears to be very close to securing that spot.
- The second to last practice under the two-a-days format was yesterday. After the two-a-days format ends, the practice type will shift to more of what will happen during the regular season to prep for Friday's game against Cleveland.