Even though it was Labor Day, and most of America got a day off, the same can't be said for the Lions. Since the regular season is going to get underway this weekend, each and every minute of practice is going to be important if the Lions want to go out there and have a strong showing. Here's the latest from Monday's session of practice.
- Yesterday, the Lions practiced on the indoor field at the training facility in Allen Park. The players were in helmets and shorts during the practice.
- The official 8-man practice squad was named at the practice today. After the latest round of cuts took place this past weekend, and the roster was trimmed down to just 53 players, these 8 men will still call Detroit home to an extent:
WR Devale Ellis
TE Sean McHugh
T Clint Stickdorn
C Dave Pearson
DE Claude Harriott
DT Cleveland Pinkney
CB Dee McCann
S Marcus Demps
- Since many players have been let go in the last few days, there were some people that switched their numbers because the one they wanted became open. Jamar Fletcher changed from 41 to 21 and Jonathan Scott 66 to 72. Then on the practice squad, Dave Pearson went from 85 to 60 and Clint Stickdorn 62 to 77.
- Much to my surprise, a few select tickets are still available for this Sunday's season opener against the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks. Approximately 500 more need to be sold for the local television blackout to be lifted. Also, Seattle returned some of their ticket allotment, so that has created more available tickets for purchase.
- Sunday's game against Seattle will be broadcasted by Fox. The announcing crew includes Dick Stockton giving play-by-play, Daryl Johnston handling color commentary, and Tony Siragusa reporting from the sidelines.