- Daunte Culpepper is going to start for the Lions on Sunday. Dan Orlovsky attempted to throw in practice and things didn't go well. He had pain in his ligaments, signaling that he is not ready to return just yet.
- Also not ready to return is Drew Stanton, who missed practice on Wednesday because he is still suffering from the symptoms of the concussion he got against Tampa Bay. That means that Drew Henson will be Culpepper's backup for the second game in a row.
- Daunte Culpepper currently weighs 270 pounds.
- William Clay Ford needs to read Alex Marvez's recent column on why the Lions should hire Scott Pioli. Marvez came up with a blueprint for the Lions to follow that basically is this: Hire Pioli, who would then bring Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels with him to be the head coach, and then sign Matt Cassel. Pioli would be at the top of my wish list for potential general managers even if he didn't bring a coach and a QB with him. The possibility that he would makes him all the more enticing.
- Martin Mayhew is preparing for the draft in the complete opposite way of how Matt Millen did so as the Lions' GM. Mayhew has actually watched potential draft picks in person, and this line pretty much sums up the entire Millen era:
According to two different Lions officials, Mayhew has done more in-season traveling this year than former president Matt Millen did in his seven years on the job combined.I've made it known on this blog before that I want everyone involved with Millen gone after this season. I believe that a completely new staff is necessary to succeed. That's no slight against Martin Mayhew, who has done a good job as GM so far; he is guilty by association in this case.
- Rookie defensive linemen Cliff Avril and Andre Fluellen may start for the Lions on Sunday.
Friday Notes: Culpepper to Start; Orlovsky Out for Vikings Game
By Sean Yuille