- The Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei is reporting that Lions receiver Shaun McDonald is being shopped around.
A better chance exists that another team's leading receiver will be traded. The Lions have been dangling Shaun McDonald, who had 79 catches for 943 yards. He is a favorite of former Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz, who drafted McDonald in 2003 for the Rams and now is with the receiver-deficient 49ers.McDonald had a tremendous season in 2007, and I would like to see him back. However, it wouldn't be surprising if the Lions did trade him away, especially with San Francisco in the market for receivers. Martz brought McDonald in to Detroit and used his skills perfectly. Now that he's in San Francisco, Martz needs receivers, and McDonald is a perfect fit for the new-look 49ers offense.
- The Lions appear to be leaning towards taking a defensive player with their first-round pick, and right now that is the side of the ball they will likely focus on at the combine.
"We do need young defensive players," coach Rod Marinelli said Tuesday.Sounds good to me. There are needs at linebacker, cornerback, and on the defensive line, so any pick on defense will fill a need.
- Mike Martz talked with reporters yesterday and admitted that the Lions did fire him.
- Now that Martz is gone, there's a chance that Tatum Bell could return to Detroit.
- Mike O'Hara thinks there is a 70% chance Shaun Rogers is playing for a team other than the Lions this year.
- Former Lions player Bradford Banta has returned to Detroit as an assistant strength and conditioning coach.
- The buzz of the NFL Combine so far really has been Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long. He has been impressive in many different ways already and hasn't even done the actual workout for o-linemen. I have said already that Long will not be around when the Lions pick considering he is a top 5 pick, but if there was ever a perfect pick for Detroit, he would be one.
- Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall wants out of Atlanta. The chances of him somehow ending up in Detroit aren't great at all, but it is an interesting thing to think about. He is an outstanding CB and would fill a huge need on the defense. Plus, him and Roy Williams like to talk trash, so practices would be pretty fun to watch with those two matching up against each other.