- The Lions placed safety Daniel Bullocks, tight end Dan Campbell, wide receiver Shaun McDonald, and offensive guard Edwin Mulitalo on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. The good news is that Ernie Sims was not on the PUP list, meaning his injury isn't too severe. Detroit did still limit Sims somewhat as a precaution as you can never be too careful when dealing with your best linebacker.
- The four players mentioned above that are on the PUP list may return to practice full time shortly. A player on the PUP list can be placed on the active roster at any time. Once individual workouts are evaluated, if a player is healthy enough to practice, chances are he would be taken off the PUP list quickly. That may be the case with at least one of the players currently on the PUP list, so stay tuned.
- Both of Detroit's two practices were held outside yesterday. The morning session was conducted in full pads and in the afternoon players were in shells (only shoulder pads and helmets).
- Detroit filled the void created at linebacker by Caleb Campbell's departure by signing Leon Joe. Joe has played in the NFL for four years. Three were with Chicago before Joe played with the Bills last season.
- Rod Marinelli was surprised by Jordon Dizon's arrest. He doesn't want something similar to happen to rookie running back Kevin Smith, so Marinelli is constantly stressing the importance of staying out of trouble to him.
- Speaking of Kevin Smith, aside from being told to stay out of trouble, he is also finding out about the need to run lower. Although his upright style at UCF put him in the record books, in the NFL running like that is a good way to get injured.
- Takeo Spikes doesn't appear to be interested in signing very quickly, but Detroit has offered him a contract to join the Lions. It's a waiting game now to see if Spikes takes the deal.
- Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus has an endorsement deal with Under Armour.
- Center Dominic Raiola and defensive tackle Cory Redding were pumped to get practice started.
- Jamie Samuelsen believes Lions fans will not like what they see this season. I hope that's not the case, but based on previous seasons I can't disagree.
- MLive has audio of Matt Millen's appearance on WDFN.
- Tom Kowalski ran down a list of tidbits from the Lions' morning practice.
- The Free Press has posted a couple of photo galleries and a short video from the Lions' first day of training camp.
- For more pictures and video, as well as audio, check out the training camp section on DetroitLions.com.
Friday Notes: Four Lions Start Training Camp on PUP List
By Sean Yuille