- The fifth day of Lions training camp was pretty much the same as the previous four. The team wore full pads in the morning and shells in the afternoon, and both sessions were outdoors. Also, the PUP list still is the same.
- Detroit's two practices today will be open to the general public. Gates open a half hour before the practices start (8:35 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.), and only the first 700 fans will be allowed in. The morning session is a full practice, but the afternoon one is special teams only.
If you happen to attend one of the practices, make sure to share your thoughts on the experience by writing a FanPost, leaving a comment, or sending me an e-mail.
- Brett Favre called Matt Millen shortly after retiring wondering if he (Favre) could still play. Favre and Millen also exchanged texts a few weeks ago, and the conversation was, well, interesting to say the least.
"The next time was probably three weeks ago,'' Millen said. "We texted back and forth. I told him I had a groundhog getting into my vegetable garden so I shot him. He said "Mmm, make a stew.'''Millen finally said that Favre wanted to know if he could call the Lions GM for advice, and intelligently, Favre never did. Who honestly would take football advice from Matt Millen anyways?
- Paris Lenon is still the Lions' starting middle linebacker.
- Rookie defensive end Cliff Avril has been pretty impressive in practice so far.
- Rod Marinelli wants fans to make noise when they attend open practices.
- With 2008 being the final year of his contract, defensive tackle Shaun Cody is getting serious about his play this season.
- Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan's Sirius Satellite Radio show will be broadcast live from Lions training camp today.
- I didn't see this story until recently, but right tackle Gosder Cherilus wanted to be signed in time for the start of training camp. Although he does have some character issues due to his involvement in a bar brawl last summer, I have to respect his football attitude. He didn't want to fall behind at all, which is why he was at practice from the very start. I wish Jordon Dizon would have felt the same way.
- FSN Detroit won't air Rod Marinelli's weekly press conferences this season. Their contract with the Lions was up and was not renewed.
Tuesday Notes: Favre and Millen Talk Football, Groundhogs
By Sean Yuille