- Both of the Lions' two practices yesterday were held outdoors and in helmets and shorts (shells). To some people in Michigan, the fact that the morning practice was outdoors comes as a surprise as a nasty storm system went through the lower thumb area around 7:00 a.m. yesterday. It was north of the Allen Park area (I think), though, so that's why the practice was outdoors.
- The Lions signed kicker/punter Eddie Johnson to add depth to both positions. As I said earlier this week, any kickers and punters not named Jason Hanson or Nick Harris strictly are in training camp for depth purposes and will be gone by the end of August.
- To make room for Johnson, the Lions released wide receiver Eric Fowler. Fowler, who is from the state of Michigan and played football at Grand Valley State, was just signed on Sunday.
- Rod Marinelli explained why the Lions didn't practice in pads at all on Wednesday.
"I'm conscious of the 80, really it's not even 80 when you get down with PUP's, we're down to about 70, I'll let you ask Dean (Kleinschmidt) exactly the numbers-71 or 72. But we just got bumped up in the offensive line a little bit yesterday. Hey, I'd like to get back in them tomorrow, I just have to space it out a little bit more right now. I don't like getting out of them. I think if you're trying to run the football, that's something important to have. We've got to be smart, too. We've got a game in a week, too, that we've got to be able to finish with second and third groups."
- Defensive tackle Langston Moore sprained his right shoulder on Monday and is basically day-to-day.
- Ernie Sims' injury isn't improving a whole lot, and he will miss the Lions first preseason game. Also, Dominic Raiola missed his first Lions practice in eight years due to a sprained ankle.
- Speaking of Detroit's first preseason game, it is a week from today, which is hard to believe. Then again, it's hard to believe it's nearly August already.
- Tom Kowalski wonders why Daniel Bullocks is still on the PUP list and believes Calvin Johnson is going to have a big season.
- Rookie linebacker Jordon Dizon picked off a Jon Kitna pass thanks to being in the wrong place at the right time.
- Offensive linemen Manny Ramirez and Chris Patrick missed practice due to injuries. Ramirez could be out as long as a week or so, and Patrick may be done for the entire preseason.
- Receivers Devale Ellis and Mike Furrey collided during a punt return.
Thursday Notes: Lions Release Eric Folwer, Sign Eddie Johnson
By Sean Yuille