- The Lions went back outside for both practices on Monday and wore full pads in the morning and helmets and shorts in the afternoon.
- In case you missed it, the Lions cleared out their PUP list by moving Shaun McDonald, Dan Campbell, and Daniel Bullocks to the active roster.
- A fan heckling Roy Williams during Monday's morning practice actually was ejected due to his behavior. Here are the details of what happened:
Mike Lazzara, 42, of Novi stood on the top step of the bleachers amid a sparse, mostly quiet crowd. He repeatedly shouted to Williams about taking plays off.I'm not someone to say that you can't be negative at all, but this fan does seem to be in the wrong. If you're going to be loud and yell at someone, don't call out Roy Williams for "taking plays off." Use your frustration to repeatedly yell "Fire Millen" or something like that. It makes no sense to go after Roy like that, especially in an obnoxious way.
“I didn’t use any profanity to him,” Lazzara said. “I wanted just to be constructive and tell the guy, ‘You know, I’m not making $20 million a season.’ The guy takes plays off. You guys look at the tape.”
Williams heard Lazzara as he went back to the huddle, then walked over to the fence separating the fans from the field. Williams suggested they switch jobs, as some of his teammates yelled.
“It just came out of nowhere, and I was like, ‘Huh?’ ” Williams said. “And he said it again, and I was just like, ‘What?’ And he said it again.”
- By the way, the final Lions practices open to the public this year are today. The morning session begins at 8:35 a.m. and in the afternoon there will be a special teams practice at 3:30 p.m.
- Rod Marinelli isn't happy that the Lions lost out on signing Takeo Spikes.
- With Takeo Spikes not joining the Lions, there are many questions that remain regarding who will move to strong side linebacker and who will stay in the middle. Between Jordon Dizon and Paris Lenon, someone will have to move to strong side linebacker, and the Lions hope it's Lenon. Problem is, the chances of that happening are slim as Dizon is too inexperienced to be the starting middle linebacker right now, leaving Lions coaches facing quite the conundrum.
- For the first time this training camp, the Lions' entire starting offense practiced together.
- There is a very good chance the Lions could decide to keep five safeties on the 53-man roster, meaning Greg Blue would make the team.
- Stanley Wilson has officially been placed on the injured reserve list.
- The United Football League will welcome Mike Vick out of prison with open arms as it isn't likely he will be able to play in the NFL until 2010 at the earliest.
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are reportedly going to play the halftime show at Super Bowl XLIII.
Tuesday Notes: Williams Heckler Booted From Practice
By Sean Yuille