- I was going to have this post up earlier today to talk about yesterday's practice, but my Internet stopped working and I didn't get the post up in time before going to the scrimmage today. Because of that, this post will discuss the happenings from both Friday and Saturday.
- Beginning with Friday first, the Lions had a full practice in the morning and a special teams session in the afternoon. Both practices were done in shorts and helmets only, meaning this is the second time this week that Rod Marinelli gave his players a day without pads and hitting.
- Today was "Black and Blue Fan Day" in Allen Park. The Lions had a practice that incorporated a scrimmage, if you can even call it that. Although they wore full pads, there was very little hitting going on, which was a disappointment to many of the 1,561 fans that showed up (that number was provided by the Lions, so take it for what it's worth).
- There still have been no changes to the PUP list, meaning Daniel Bullocks, Dan Campbell, Shaun McDonald, and Edwin Mulitalo all were unable to practice yet again. Defensive tackle Langston Moore also didn't practice today, along with Cory Redding, Teddy Lehman, and Artose Pinner. Moore spent most of the practice working with a coach off to the side and jogging around. Also, going back to Friday, Tatum Bell missed practice due to personal reasons.
- Buster Davis left practice after getting hit in the head, but is expected to be fine.
- Bill Ford Jr. seems to get it as he knows the Lions have to start winning now. He also is someone that doesn't seem to care for Matt Millen, so that's a plus in my book.
- Kevin Smith revealed that he desperately wanted to wear the #24 as that was his college number, but it would have costed him too much. Instead, he is wearing Kevin Jones' former #34.
- Jon Kitna has an understanding of why the second half of last season was so bad.
- Devale Ellis realized that to make the team he would have to improve his returning skills, so he did just that.
- Yardbarker provided some history on how each NFL franchise got its name. (HT: Highlight Reel)
- Some writer picked the Lions to win the NFC North. Uhh, why?
- Tickets for Thursday's preseason opener against the Giants are still available. If all the tickets aren't sold by Monday, then the Lions will have to request an extension in hopes of preventing the game from being blacked out. It is very likely the game will be blacked out, though, meaning it would air on tape delay rather than be shown live on CBS Detroit.
- Both practices on Monday will be open to the public. The morning session begins at 8:35 a.m. and the afternoon one at 4:30 p.m.
- There is no practice at all tomorrow, which is a first since training camp began.
- The Patriots signed former Lions offensive lineman Barry Stokes.
- I'll post some pictures and my observations from today's fan day event on Sunday.
Saturday Notes: Cory Redding, Many Others Miss Practice
By Sean Yuille