- Drew Stanton, Jason Hanson, Dan Campbell, and Cory Redding will not play against the Browns this afternoon. There's no point to risk bringing Hanson back too soon, so that move makes perfect sense. Campbell hasn't even practiced yet I believe, so obviously he's not going to play. And as far as Redding's status goes, he's still nursing a ribs injury.
- Expect Lions starters to play more than they have in the first two preseason games against Cleveland today. 20-25 plays is the estimate for "key players."
- Tom Kowalski analyzed the Lions' roster situation. On Tuesday the roster will be trimmed down to 75 players, but that probably won't make predicting the 53-man roster any easier. Tuesday's round of cuts will just get rid of players that we knew had no shot of making the team, so not much clarity will be provided.
- Jordon Dizon will not be a starter when the regular season begins. He surprisingly hasn't been moved to strong side linebacker yet and apparently will stay in the middle as Paris Lenon's backup.
- Drew Stanton kept his teammates in the dark when he ran the naked bootleg that scored a TD against Cincinnati last Sunday. Other than Artose Pinner, every other player on the field for the Lions thought it was actually going to be a handoff. Stanton did that to really sell the play, and judging by how well he faked the handoff I'd say that decision was a good one.
- Speaking of Stanton, he reportedly will be on the active roster going into the regular season, meaning Drew Henson's Lions career will be a short one. We won't get a look at Henson today barring an injury to Dan Orlovsky, and on Thursday he probably will just be in the game to hand the ball off.
- Lions tight end Michael Gaines is actually a good singer.
- Former Lions and current Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers basically said that today's game is no different than any other even though he has a chance to play against the team that really gave up on him.
- J.T. O'Sullivan, who was Jon Kitna's backup last season, is going to be the 49ers' starting quarterback this season. I guess following Mike Martz to San Francisco was a smart move.
Saturday Notes: Four Players Ruled Out for Today's Game
By Sean Yuille