- On January 26 and 27, the Lions are holding a town hall meeting at Ford Field, allowing fans to talk with Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew about the future of the franchise. If you want to attend the event, you have to RSVP to (313) 262-2859 by tomorrow. There is also an e-mail you can RSVP to, but I can't make out what it is. If anyone actually goes to this, I would love to hear your take on the event and if any worthwhile things were said by Lewand and Mayhew.
- Right now Brian Schottenheimer's future with the Jets is uncertain. There was a report on Monday saying that he would be back, but Adam Schefter reports that no such decision has been made just yet. If he were to leave the Jets, the Lions would probably be one of the first teams to contact him for their opening at offensive coordinator, especially now that Jeremy Bates is off the market (see below).
- Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, who, along with Schottenheimer, was mentioned as a candidate for the Lions offensive coordinator job, is headed to the University of Southern Cal. He will reportedly make at least $1 million, which is remarkable for an assistant coach in college.
UPDATE: ESPN updated its story, which now says Bates will make less than $300,000 a year.
- USC linebacker Rey Maualuga was asked about being drafted by the Lions. He gave the usual answer about helping the team and making an immediate impact. I don't necessarily think Maualuga would be worth the #1 pick, but there is no way he will last until #20. The Lions do need an inside linebacker, though, so I wouldn't be against picking him.
- Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier doesn't think he got the Lions job because he had a "difference of opinion" with the front office. From what Frazier said, my guess is that he realized it will take a few years to get this team turned around, whereas the front office is hoping for things to get better almost immediately. I could be wrong, but that's what I took away from Frazier's comments.
- The Packers hired Dom Capers to be their new defensive coordinator and will switch to a 3-4 defense.
Tuesday Notes: Bates to USC; Schottenheimer to Stay with Jets?
By Sean Yuille