- This is going to be a very busy week for the Lions. With the teams Todd Bowles, Leslie Frazier, and Mike Mularkey coach for eliminated from the playoffs, all three can now interview with the Lions. Bowles is scheduled to meet with the Lions on Wednesday according to an NFL.com report last week, but Dave Birkett, who talked with Bowles on Monday, reports that nothing has been set up just yet. Bowles did mention that he is "very interested" in the job, so I imagine an interview will be scheduled for sometime this week.
- According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Lions are interested in Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Unfortunately for Detroit, Rivera is not listening to any teams about potential jobs until the Chargers are eliminated from the playoffs. He wants his focus to be solely on the Chargers, which I can't fault him for one bit.
- The National Football Post's Michael Lombardi said in his Monday column that the Lions are interested in Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh has been linked to the Raiders' opening before, but this is the first time his name has been thrown around with the Lions. I would be 100% against Harbaugh becoming the Lions head coach based on the fact that he is only a college coach (and for his comments that bashed Michigan a couple years ago). There are way too many candidates that are more qualified than Harbaugh to even give him a look.
- Lions quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler had nothing to say about the report that he will take a job with the University of Florida. From what I've heard, this is already a done deal and both parties are just waiting to make it official until after Florida's game on Thursday. Once the dust settles, Loeffler will be named the new quarterbacks coach of the Gators.
- According to SI's Peter King, no one in the NFL "can believe William Clay Ford didn't move to hire a new GM."
- Rod Marinelli was reportedly in Seattle on Monday to meet with Seahawks coach Jim Mora about a job.
- NBC confirmed that Matt Millen will be on the network's Super Bowl pre-game show. God help us all. I just want to relax and enjoy watching the Super Bowl. Instead I'm going to fill up with anger and have to fight the urge of throwing my shoe at the TV screen every time Millen is on it.
Tuesday Notes: Add Rivera to the Candidates List
By Sean Yuille