- My thoughts go out to Chris Spielman and his family, as his wife, Stefanie, passed away yesterday after a long and courageous fight with breast cancer.
- I was a bit surprised that Stephen Peterman wasn't one of the players placed on injured reserve earlier this week, because the ankle injury he suffered during the Vikings game looked pretty serious. Peterman was in an immense amount of pain and though he managed to walk off the field without any help, he had to be carted off to the locker room from the sideline. It was apparent the injury was serious, but nobody was really sure just how serious until today. I say that because the Lions have now placed Peterman on IR, ending his season. He will probably have to undergo ankle surgery, which is why the Lions went ahead and ended his season.
- Replacing Peterman on the roster is wide receiver Eric Fowler, who was activated from the practice squad. A replacement for Peterman was really already signed earlier this week when Melvin Fowler joined the team, so the Lions decided to promote Fowler to fill the latest open spot on the active roster.
- Kalvin Pearson and Ernie Sims are out this week.
- It was thought that Cleveland's Joshua Cribbs might be out as well, but now it looks like he will play on Sunday against the Lions.
- The reason Louis Delmas' absence from last Sunday's game was so unexpected was because Delmas himself thought he was going to play despite having a root canal and dental surgery on the Friday before the game. All was fine up until kickoff was approaching, which is when he realized he was in too much pain and couldn't play. It happened so soon before kickoff that he wasn't even on the inactive list, which actually ended up hurting the Lions' depth because so many other players got hurt during the game.
- Jim Schwartz made some adjustments to the team's schedule this week in order to get ready for playing two games in five days.
- The fate of the Silverdome will be decided by a judge by Monday at the latest.
- Ernie Sims and a few of his snakes visited a class of fourth-graders earlier this week to talk about reptiles.
- Shaun Rogers talked about his time in Detroit earlier this week.
Friday Notes: Lions Place Stephen Peterman on IR, Sign Eric Fowler
By Sean Yuille