- It is "not likely" that Matthew Stafford will play against the Cardinals this week. The coaches seem like they really don't want to rush him back, especially with how banged up the rest of the offense is. It's not like Stafford would be returning to an offense simply missing him; Brandon Pettigrew, Kevin Smith, Stephen Peterman are all gone, and Calvin Johnson is banged up as well. The entire offense is hurting, and personally I don't want to see Stafford back until he is 100%. Of course, it sucks that the Lions really don't even have a chance to win any games without him, but hey, if that winds up making it possible for a certain defensive tackle from Nebraska to come to Detroit next year, I don't mind.
- Calvin Johnson, Louis Delmas, and Don Muhlbach all missed practice today. None of them have been ruled out of Sunday's game yet, but none of their situations look promising.
- The Lions gave free tickets for Sunday's game to 400-500 random former season-ticket holders. Even with those tickets being given away, the Lions are still more than 9,000 tickets away from a sellout, meaning the blackout will become official any minute now.
- Brian Witherspoon used to be Sammie Hill's teammate at Stillman.
- In SI's revised 2009 NFL Draft, four players the Lions drafted ended up in the first round, including Louis Delmas and DeAndre Levy.
- The Cardinals signed an extra kicker in case Neil Rackers can't play on Sunday due to a groin injury.
- Roll Bama Roll, SB Nation's Alabama blog, took a look at the 1948 Sugar Bowl, which featured Alabama and Texas as well as former Lions Harry Gilmer and Bobby Layne.
- My thoughts go out to the Cincinnati Bengals, as they are mourning the death of Chris Henry.
Thursday Notes: Matthew Stafford Likely Out Against Arizona
By Sean Yuille