This will be the new open thread since it is at the top of the site for right now. Just like the other one, leaves your thoughts in the comments.
It's time for another free agency update, as there is some news coming in on players that the Lions are interested in.
- Offensive guard Derrick Dockery is in Allen Park to meet with the Lions right now. If he were signed, the Lions would no longer have a need for a left guard, which could cause the draft picture to stray away from left tackles. I say that because drafting a left tackle would mean that Jeff Backus would switch to LG. With someone like Dockery on the team, that move wouldn't be necessary and the need for a LT would decrease drastically.
- By way of Tom Kowalski, one league source would be surprised if wide receiver Nate Washington left Allen Park. That means that a deal could be imminent. In my mind, it's now or never for the Lions to sign Washington since he is scheduled to visit other teams over the weekend. If they let him leave Allen Park without a contract, I would be surprised if the Lions had any chance of signing him.
- PFT is reporting that fullback Moran Norris has signed with the 49ers. Norris played for the Lions last season, and the belief was that Detroit had interest in bringing him back.
- Also according to PFT, cornerback Bryant McFadden is going to visit the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.
- This last story I want to mention isn't free agency-related, but Tom Kowalski is reporting that Martin Mayhew wanted the Lions to sign Daunte Culpepper as far back as last year's training camp. Knowing that, it should be no surprise that the Lions are moving forward with Culpepper as the starting quarterback. Mayhew obviously likes him quite a bit, and this story backs that notion up.