- Training camp is now technically over. Players are no longer required to stay in a hotel, and there is no longer a curfew. Practice still continues on, but the players' living arrangements are a bit different now (if they choose to leave the hotel).
- With Jason Hanson out until at least the start of the regular season and Swayze Waters suffering the effects of a tight hamstring, the Lions decided to sign kicker Billy Cundiff on Wednesday. (Waters was released to make room on the roster.) Cundiff began his career as a starter for the Cowboys and has been on a few teams since then. He hasn't played in an actual game since 2006, and I hope he doesn't get to end that drought in a Lions uniform. It's nothing against him, I just want Hanson to be healthy enough to return for the season opener.
- Receiver Dane Looker did a great job of filling in at kicker the last couple of days. He made a kick from 48 yards out yesterday before missing a couple attempts from 53 yards away. Like I said once before on this site, kicking is a lot harder than it looks, so I have an immense amount of respect for what Looker did. Yes, he was a backup kicker in high school, but it's not easy to suddenly start kicking again. For me, I maxed out somewhere between 30-35 yards recently, so nailing one from 48 is a great feat.
- Louis Delmas helped cause a brawl during yesterday's practice after he laid out Aveion Cason similar to the way he hit Aaron Brown last week. Jim Schwartz again made sure Delmas realized that in practice you don't need to be laying such big hits on teammates. While Delmas does need to be a bit more careful, I love his physicality.
- Ernie Sims was out for the second straight day with an oblique muscle pull.
- Anthony Henry was also again missing from practice.
- Kevin Smith left practice after Jordon Dizon's knee collided with his thigh.
- On the positive side, Calvin Johnson and Bryant Johnson will likely play on Saturday against Indianapolis. Brandon Pettigrew may play as well, but don't expect to see Dennis Northcutt.
- Gunther Cunningham is "flat pissed off" with the defense's recent tackling.
- Louis Delmas originally didn't answer the Lions when they called on draft day because he thought it was a college teammate since a 313 area code showed up on his caller ID.
Thursday Notes: Lions Sign Billy Cundiff as Camp Breaks
By Sean Yuille