- The Lions signed defensive tackle Matthias Askew to the practice squad and released quarterback Brock Berlin. Askew played for Michigan State in college and has been on the Bengals, Redskins, and Broncos in the NFL. Berlin was likely released because Drew Stanton returned to practice today, meaning the Lions no longer need a QB on the practice squad for insurance purposes.
- I haven't heard anything yet about the ticket situation for this week's game, but we should know how many tickets are left shortly. My guess is that there are more available than there were at this time last week, and although another surprise could happen, I don't have a good feeling about the game not being blacked out.
- Free agent linebacker Matt Wilhelm worked out for the Lions this week.
- Jim Schwartz invented a couple new words when asked about his style of coaching.
"A lot of my philosophy is Belichickian," he said. "I like to tell people that I got a Ph.D. in footballology from the University of Coach Belichick," he said.Do you get a free hooded sweatshirt upon graduating?
- Albert Haynesworth, now a Washington Redskin, has good things to say about Schwartz.
- Thom Brennaman and Brian Billick will be the announcers for this week's game against the Redskins.
- DIRECTV is having a contest to find the "Ultimate Displaced Fan." The way it works is you have to live over 100 miles away from your favorite team and submit a picture or video along with a short write-up about how big of a fan you are. The winner will receive a trip to the Super Bowl along with some other cool experiences, so if you are a displaced fan (I know there are a lot of you out there), enter the contest.
Wednesday Notes: Lions Sign Matthias Askew to Practice Squad, Release Brock Berlin
By Sean Yuille